Friday, January 30, 2009

We Carry BIG GUNS Around Here

Why do kids say things to people that they shouldn't, that gets you in trouble, or that is so over the top you wonder where it came from. This week was no different, except the child was not Kensli..........shocking I know, but this time Nic stepped up to the plate!

Ricky has been sick with a sinus infection so we took a little trip to see Dr. M. Dr. M. is a wonderful man that has seen us through all our kids adoptions and Kensli's heart surgery. In fact he is the one that found her PDA that had to be corrected. Anyway, while we were visiting Dr. M., Kensli asked him if she could tell him "somepin"? He said yes and she told him all about her doctor kit she got for Christmas and how she doctored people, too. About that time, my usually very quite child Nic, piped up and said, "Yeah, and I got a big gun with big bullets for Christmas!!!!" Dr. M's face paled instantly, he looked at me with raised eyebrows, and, yes, he asked, "A real gun?" "No, Dr. M., not a real gun, a Nerf gun,"I quickly reply. He let out a big sigh of relief and then gave me a little reminder on gun safety. The entire time, Nic is adding his running commentary on what all he has shot with his gun. I assured Dr. M. that any "real" guns owned were secure out of reach of little hands. Now, I am not against guns and I strongly feel we should have the right as Americans to bear arms, yet, I guess the thought of a 6 yr old getting a "BIG" gun for Christmas was not a good image for our poor Dr. M. Thankfully we got out of there before Nic and Kensli could add anymore to the conversation.

Anyone coming around our house had better watch out because we have a really big gun around here, and Nic has shot some pretty impressive stuff! Let's see, what all did he tell Dr. M..........his door, his sister, pap-pa, not mam-ma or granny, the cat, the clock, a plant, the dogs, the stove, the TV, his other sister, his brother, a book, his dinosaur..........and the list went on and on.

Hey, Y'all, duck if you come around here, 'cause we have a BIG GUN!!!!! :)

3 comments:

Room for More said...

Oh, my cheeks burn for you! I have been in a similar situation in the pediatrician's office. I am laughing b/c my boys were little NRA lovers at that age with their nerf guns, now they can't wait to take their jrs gun safety class!! We also are getting a puppy and his name will be Ruger. Yes, we believe in the right to bear arms too : )

berrypatch said...

We'll be sure to come armed. LOL I always tell folks that I no longer have secrets - I have children. ;-)

Debbie said...

Don't you just love it. It is always so interesting when our adoption social worker comes for her visits...gosh it is a good thing she has known us for many years...the things kids say!

We also have some of those "big guns" at our house, we love them.