Tuesday, February 17, 2009

SPRING FEVER

I am fidgety! I want the weather to warm up and stay that way, to plant something, to watch my flowers bloom, to sit in the sun, to watch my oldest son play baseball,..........I THINK I MAY HAVE SPRING FEVER! Yikes, it seems a little early this year! We have been having some incredible weather for the past two weeks, and it has put us all in the mood for spring!

It dawned on me this morning, what this house needed was a bubbly goldfish, starting some seeds in pots inside, some sort of insect project, and searching for some local tadpoles. We have nothing else in life to do to keep us busy and I felt that we needed something.

We will be studying insects in the spring using
Apologia, Zoology 1: Flying Creatures of the 5th Day . So, I started the whole getting into the mode and ordered an ant farm. I am so excited!!!!! I remember as a kid, we had an ant farm in our 2nd grade class and I loved going to the Science table to watching them. It was the coolest thing to me. I am not sure why I did not think of getting one sooner, but I am anxiously waiting to see the looks on my kids faces!

Hopefully we can go tomorrow and bring home Mr. Bubbles! My youngest two have never had a fish to watch and I do not want them to miss the experience!

I will be looking for some local tadpoles this spring. We looked for some last year and didn't find any. This year I will try at my mom's house! It is not quite time for them yet, but I will be watching for them in the little creek behind her house.

I think that we will start some flower seeds in some pots soon for the large pots outside. I would like to get some tomatoes seeded, too! We are planning on having a small garden this year if we can keep the dogs out. It may take some fencing to accomplish that feat! :)

My computer whirs, I am trying to decide which seeds to order, what tomatoes would be best, how to feed tadpoles, and waiting on a confirmation on my ant farm order......


DREAMING OF SPRING!

8 comments:

The Cook's said...

Me 2! I have been LOVING this weather. We actually planted some seeds in our little window sill flower pots. They are growing really fast! I'm imagining you & those sweet kiddo's in learning mode in your perfect set-up for homeschooling! God knew what He was doing when He blessed those 4 with you for their mom!

Debbie said...

What wonderful plans. We are still a long way off here in NY, but it is always so nice to start dreaming. We will be starting seeds soon.

Spring is definitely in the air. The birds sounds more cheery and the sun is setting later and later each day. The sun feels warmer even though the temp says otherwise.

Enjoy your projects.

Paula Perry said...

I want it to be warm again too, it was last week and this week it's gone all cold again. sucks. i will keep dreaming!

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

I'm ready for spring as well!!! I'm so done with this cold then warm then very cold then rain then snow then warm then cold weather!!! :) The kids need to be outside and I need them to be outside as well! :)

Felicia

Anonymous said...

Whoo...I know what ya mean! I try to wait until at least March before breaking out the flip-flops! I unpacked all of my summer and spring clothes lastweek in anticipation of some warmer weather. Buh-Bye sweaters!!!!

~Val said...

I'd never be able to have a garden outside . First of all, we seem to kill everything we try to grow. Second of all, my dogs LOVE raw veggies and fruits! Raw carrots are something to fight with the horse over, strawberries, pineapple, bananas, blueberries ... raw greenbeans are a real treat when Mom is snapping and dropping ... My dog even loves jalepeno peppers off the bush! He did stop eating those last year though when he got a cayenne pepper rather than a jalepeno .... and thorny roses are just too much fun to shred. I wish I could successfully grow veggies though, my thumb is far from green, it's more purple or something.

berrypatch said...

Great ideas! I may just have to try some out. This year has been tough on ALL of us waiting for spring. Hmmm, flowers & fish. I could do that!!! ;-)

Enjoy the science book. We LOVE that series here. She's coming out with an anatomy book for the fall. I can't wait!!! Oh & did you know she is also coming out with neat journal/notebooking/lapbooking books for ALL of them? They look REALY neat! ;-) Those are suppose to be ready this summer I think.

Room for More said...

We did Flying Creatures last year. LOTS of fun. Although, I did not do the ant farm thing! I know, I am loving our spring weather. Now if I could get the $$ to do something in the yard? Have a great week!