Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blooming

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all. --Mulan

(plant actually blooming outside my backdoor)



I read this quote one time and thought it was a beautiful thought! This winter I have witnessed this very thought in my backyard. I have an azalea in a small area against the wall outside my backdoor that has bloomed all winter. The poor little plant has bloomed its heart out!


I began to think that as people we go through many things in life. Kensli is one of these people. Soon we will celebrate her 3rd Gotcha Day and it is a time to reflect on our becoming a family. I think of the things shared and the things she has overcome......

Survived her abandonment.

Survived approximately 365 days in an orphanage.


Learned to take care of herself.


Given to strangers.


Accepted a new family.


Learned to trust.


Survived heart surgery.


Struggled with sleep horrors and is overcoming.


Learned to let others take care of her.


..........and the list goes on and on!


At night when I rock her to sleep, I see a very strong little girl that has bloomed and I celebrate her triumphs. When I hear her laugh, I realize how close we came to never hearing her laughter. When she fights me at night, I realize the sorrows that are hidden deep inside. When I watch her carry her "baby" book around, I feel the pride she does! This is her story, her quote, her life of blooming in adversity!


Bloom, Kensli, Bloom!

4 comments:

Room for More said...

What a beautiful post! How old was Kensli when she was abandoned? I am so happy to hear she is doing so well! Have a great weekend!

The Cook's said...

OMG, Kayla! This is the most beautiful post I've ever read! What beautiful words and they are all so true. I'm so thankful for that little ray of sunshine God brought into your (and our) lives!

berrypatch said...

Wow. That's all I have to say, "Wow." It brought tears to my eyes. What a blessed little girl you have.

~Val said...

Your whole family is a blooming garden. When Willoughby was here, he called us "garden variety Christians", and I've been thinking on that as vegetables, but if you're a flower garden ... what kind of flower are you? The kind that blooms in adversity would be one of the best kind to be.