A year and a half ago I became a "food detective" for my oldest son. He suffered a severe reaction to nuts, went into anaphylactic shock, and we almost lost him. It was so scary!!! I had never even thought about food allergies. He had eaten nuts all his life and never a problem! I started reading and researching everything I could find on food allergies, especially nut allergies. We now read every label and research every new restaurant we eat at. Challenging, yes, but would rather that than the alternative. He carries epi pens everywhere he goes, but what parent really wants to stick their child in the leg if they do not need to? SO, I have become a "food detective"!!!
During my research, I realized the difference between a food intolerance and a food allergy. Since then I have been tested and am intolerant to several foods. One that I am thankful for being intolerant to is liver. Hated it as a child and so glad I have an excuse to never eat that nasty stuff again.
About two weeks ago my detective skills where need once more. When Little Miss Sunshine was almost 5 months old the doctor told me I could start her on rice cereal. Happy that she could now eat a little more than milk, I stopped by the store on the way home and picked up a name brand rice cereal. That afternoon I tried feeding her some. Within the hour she had emptied her stomach of all its contents and lay there weak and tired acting. I thought she just wasn't ready, so I put it up and waited a few days. Tried it again and the same thing happened. This time I waited several weeks before trying again, but the results were the same...projectile vomiting. That is when I realized something wasn't right and began researching. Seems that there is a percentage of babies that have an intolerance to rice cereal, and guess what some of the symptoms are?
Yesterday, I went to our local grocery store and read the labels on all cereals and baby foods. Finally settled on an organic oatmeal and baby food. Started her on the oatmeal yesterday, and she has kept it down. I will start preparing her foods and pureeing them soon, but need to know if she can tolerate this brand of food for easy travel.
Happy to be eating!
So at the moment, Sunshine is seemingly intolerant to rice and milk. (The doctor had put her on a soy based formula when she was 2 months.) Praying that she outgrows them, or my skills as a food detective will finely tuned!


6 comments:
Its so scary. We just learned last week that our youngest, 14 month old son, is allergic to peanutsand eggs (maybe more but thats all we have tested so far). He also had a scary reaction. You are so right about having to be a detective! Things I never could have imagined are contaminated! The Berry Patch recommended your blog to me, so gald she did!
I was just going to let you know I sent this post to a friend. ;-) She beat me to it. I love the photos! I just gave you a blog award.
http://maineberrypatch.blogspot.com/2011/02/procrastination-pays-off-sometimes.html
I have given your blog the "Stylish Blogger Award!" Congratulations! Check it out! http://familyforest.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html
Vivian was on soy too...couldn't handle regular formula or milk. She finally grew out of it, but she still has a slight milk allergy...as do I.
Hope Ms. Sunshine grows out of it!
Love you guys!
Poor little boo-boo... hopefully she'll outgrow it. LOVE your new layout & pics... such a beautiful family! love you guys!
Yikes! Food issues are SO hard! Especially if you are trying to eat out, or at a friends house etc. My girls are super fussy eaters but thankfully no allergies. Yet.
Post a Comment