........Thankful that this does not occur all the time.
Our first trip to the store to purchase necessities was nothing but sensory overload. We didn't go to one of the several Wal-marts that I have seen, we went to the local market/grocery store. It was Friday evening and the place was bustling with locals getting what they needed. Most people shop daily due to lack of refrigeration. The smells, sights, and sounds were so different that half way through the trip I zoned out. Someone with us asked if I was OK. I honestly could not take anymore.
......Thankful that we made it through and we at least had enough sense to buy toilet paper.
Our first few days were spent with people coming and going, trying to get out house up and running. The gardener comes on Monday's and Thursday's. He came with the house...hired by the homeowner.
.......Thankful that I do not have to tend to the plants and that he was already hired.
The pure water delivery is on Wednesday's and Saturdays. They deliver 15 gallons of pure water at a time that we use for drinking, cooking, and brushing teeth. I have gained a huge appreciation for clean water at our disposal in the US that comes from the tap.
.......Thankful for clean water that I take for granted.
The internet was quite elusive for the first week. Seems that here it takes several people over several days to fix a problem. Each time a new internet technition showed up they were a little more qualified to deal with our problem. Finally, after a week of being here they sent out the experts and they had us up and running in about an hour. The cable from house to the street was bad.
........Thankful for wifi and the experts that finally got it turned on.
We have a maid/child care person I will refer to as E. She cleaned the house from top to bottom everyday the first week, but after starting school today, I don't think that will be the case. Kamryn keeps her VERY busy while I study the language. She told us today that Kamryn is very smart. I saw Missy Smarty make several runs for me today with a very determined, mischievious look on her face, with E. in hot pursuit. I think Kamryn enjoyed the chase and really didn't mean to ever get to me.
........Thankful for a nice lady that helps so I can learn the language.
Kamryn has been very sick since we got here. She got the ROTO virus in Miami and the Monday before we flew out, we had to take her to the hospital. She was dehydrated and I could not stop her vomiting. They gave us medicine, and the next day she was better. On Friday, we woke up with her vomiting again, so we took her to a Dr here. He confirmed the ROTO virus and said that it was about over. He was right and in a couple of days she was better. Within 24 hours of her eating again, her allergy to soy started showing up. For the next week, we battled having to figure out what contained soy and what didn't in a language that we can't understand. Wal-mart is a mine field of products that contain hidden ingredients. Well, hidden to those that do not read the language. You can find some American products here and that helps.
........Thankful that I live in a country that things are labeled clearly and for a variety of products that make my life simpler.
Thanksgiving came and went this year without much fan fare. We had the rest of the missionary team at our house for the Thanksgiving meal. I made the cornbread dressing and it turned out wonderful considering the corn meal here is really corn flour. We missed our family and traditions at home, but found that where ever you are Thanksgiving is in the heart. We have so much to be thankful for that we should celebrate a spirit of thanksgiving daily.
Thanksgiving 2012
Happy Thanksgiving
No comments:
Post a Comment