Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Food Detective and a New Case~Part 1

About 4 weeks ago I began noticing that Kamryn was vomiting a lot after drinking her bottle.  It wasn't every time, but about 30% of the time.  The next week she was running fever, so I took her to see the pediatrician.  He said she had a virus that should be gone in a few days.  The fever left as the Dr. said, but by the weekend she had developed a cold and was vomiting up 75% of her milk.  Last week on Wednesday I called the Dr. and discussed the cold symptoms and the vomiting.  He felt like it was the cold and directed me to put her on Pedialyte until the symptoms cleared up.  By Friday morning the cold was gone and I started giving her the formula again.

Friday night Toby's parents wanted to come for a visit and eat, so we went to a local restaurant around 5 pm.  A little after 6 pm she started throwing up again.  She threw up everything she had drunk in the last few hours.  I waited until I felt her stomach was settled and around 10 pm gave her another bottle.  It took about 30 minutes and she vomited up everything.  Toby and I agreed that she would not get anymore milk until we could see the Dr.

Over the weekend I read everything I could find about formula intolerance, symptoms, etc.  I discovered that approximately 3 percent of babies are intolerant to formula.  Part of those intolerant to lactose found in milk based formula are also intolerant to soy based formula, too.  Also, I realized that by Friday night her cold symptoms were back.  The cold symptoms and the reading led me to realize that we were probably dealing with another food intolerance.

Monday morning I called the Dr. and took her to see him.  Toby went with us and we explained all that was happening.  I told him about my concerns with yet another formula intolerance.  He scheduled an upper GI x-ray and small bowel x-ray to make sure.  The tests were negative and we are now on Similac Alimentum, a hypoallergenic formula.  Praying this is going to work.

No comments: