Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

I have often heard my grandmother talk about where she was when certain events happened. She can remember where she was and what she was doing when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, President Kennedy was killed, etc. As a kid growing up I often wondered what it felt like to remember something so vividly that you could remember feelings, thoughts, people, sounds, smells, and places when it happened. On 9/11, I became familiar with just such feelings!

I was in bed when the 1st plane hit! We had only been back from visiting my brother and his family in Alaska for a few days and we were not yet adjusted to the time difference. Dad was working off somewhere and Mom called me. When I picked up she said, "Something terrible has happened!" While we were talking the second plane hit! I remember her saying in stunned disbelief that another one has struck the second tower! We talked for a few more minutes and as we hung up Mom told me very seriously, "Whatever happens, I love you!" Immediately a very sickening feeling hit me! This was real!! I immediately called my brother who is 3 hours behind us and woke him up with the news. We talked and discussed what could be happening and ended the conversation with, "Whatever happens, I love you!" I switched on the radio and the voices of stunned commentators came across the airwaves describing every detail. The rest of the day was spent glued to the radio or TV. I tried not to let my kids see the horrid pictures, because the two oldest were only 3 and 1 at the time.

For the next few days, the feelings of horror, fear, helplessness, pride, disgust, sadness, pain, and shock overwhelmed us! I would hear 18 wheelers on the interstate at night and sit up in fear! I was proud of the way our President and Leaders handled the enormous task of trying put the country back together. But more than the leaders, I was so proud of the American people who stood up and faced the tragedy with a spirit of patriotism! Ordinary people that put aside themselves and did what they could to help!

I will never forget those first few moments, the feelings, the tears, the puzzled looks on my kids faces as to why every one was crying, and the time that we took to tell even perfect strangers how much we cared! Now I truly understand how my Grandmother has felt all these years! I WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!!!

No comments: