Thursday, June 18, 2009

HOLES--From Nicholas' Point of View

Toby has become extremely interested in his roots lately. Thanks to his cousin Charles, he has been able to get in touch with a large family group that have knowledge of family history. I have to say I am a little jealous of the fact that he can so easily gain access to family history, know where they originated, and that he probably looks a lot like his great-grandfather on his dad's side. The kids and I, all being adopted, know nothing of our ancestry. Of course, holes in our history have been a topic of discussion in our home the last couple of days.

Last night, Toby was telling the kids all about a church that was built by his great-great-great-.......grandfather and showing them pictures. After he was finished, this is the conversation that ensued after a comment that suggested a "hole" from one of the kids.

Me: "Toby, please be careful! We would all like to know our history!"

Toby: "I will! It is just so exciting to know where you came from!"

Me: "Tell me about it! We just all do not have that opportunity in this family. There are so many holes for the rest of us."

Toby: "I understand, but I have holes in my past, too! Everybody does to some degree! I would like to give them something to be able to point to."

Nicholas: "Daddy, I have holes."

Toby: "You do?"

Nicholas: "Yes sir, right here in my underwear! I get these little holes at the top around the band!"

Can I say, we laughed until we almost cried. Oh, that life could be so simple and easy to understand!

2 comments:

The Cook's said...

Priceless!

berrypatch said...

I love Nicholas' point of view! Glad you had some laughter to lighten things up. I can only imagine the "holes" in your family.