Monday, March 31, 2008

National Geographic: Backyard Edition

Who has ever witnessed the aggression of male lizards before? Not me!!!! I do not have a particular fear of lizards, but I it has never been on my top 10 list to sit around watching them either. This morning I sent Nic and Kensli out to play in the backyard and in a few minutes they came back in saying there was a big lizard out there. I went to look thinking it might be a snake, but sure enough it was a lizard. Two of them, to be exact, and they were trying to figure out which one of themselves was the dominant male! They were so busy trying to prove their manliness that they didn't even realize we were watching. We watched for awhile and then Kensli got tired and started jumping. This movement and sound brought the lizards back to reality, but they were so tired that they didn't run off. They just tried to hide in plain sight. We left them to their hiding, but Ricky checked back later and they had gone! Here are a few pictures of what we saw....................


Here they are circling each other getting ready to attack.
Trying out a head maneuver!
Lip hold.
The darker green one seemed to be the dominate male. The other lizard was smaller and thinner. Wish I could report the winner, but I can't! Guess if I see the big, dark green lizard sunning peacefully on the deck I can declare him the winner!!!!

No comments: