Last week Kamryn came down with a runny nose and fever, which brought on a giant case of the cranky baby syndrome. Being the careful, watchful, and concerned mother that I am, I carted her off to the doctor proclaiming that it must be an ear infection. Even told the nurse my worries and concerns about the ears being infected. After an exam, the pediatrician told me that he could find nothing wrong, except that she had a 24 hour virus. Heaving a huge sigh of relief that I was not going to have to struggle getting down a weeks round of antibiotics into a baby that can taste medicine hidden in anything, I head home. The rest of the week she got over the virus just like the Dr said, and then developed a cold.
Every day I watched closely to make sure the color of what was coming out of her nose was clear and thankfully it was, but by the weekend she had developed a new quite disturbing symptom. She would get choked on cold and cough until she threw up. It was quite alarming and always came without warning. Honestly, she did not care where or who she threw up on. We were so busy with the revival that we decided that since she was so active, no fever, etc. we would wait until Monday to talk to Dr. M. By Monday morning she seemed better, so I didn't call thinking the worst was over. She went until Tuesday night before she threw up again and then twice this morning. I called the doctor and he said that she had a cold and take her off her formula until it was better. The milk was causing her to produce more mucus. He told me to go get some saline drops, nasal aspirator, Pedialyte, and a cool mist humidifier, too.
With supply list in hand we head to W*l-mart and pick up all this stuff that is supposed to help Kamryn get better. Once home I thought that we should try the "stuffy nose kit" that we bought. I read the directions with the smiling baby on them. Now, have you ever tried to put saline drops in a baby's nose? Better yet, try to suction it out with the nasal aspirator! The first time we tried we caught her off guard and for the about 30 seconds she kind of looked like the smiling baby on the directions. Then reality hit and she was like a wild animal. She fought Kaitlyn and me so hard that we finally gave up for fear of hurting her. The last time we tried, she knew what was happening and screamed and fought like a tiger from the beginning. Thought about taking her, the drops, and the aspirator to Dr. M and see if he could do any better.
Thankfully the nice part about babies is that they hold no grudges. Even though I held her down and made her mad enough to scratch my eyes out, she seems to have forgotten it and loves me again. Not sure that I would be able to forget about someone dropping things down my nose or suctioning something out so quickly!
The No milk worries me, too, but she seems OK with baby food, juice, and Pedialyte. I had never heard of or thought that the formula could be adding to the problem. Makes sense though, because when I have a cold I do not want milk at all.
Praying that the humidifier will do the trick tonight and this will all be over soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment