A few month ago I only had to worry about a nut allergy, but now we have added milk and soy to our list of things to watch for. Kamryn can't tolerate soy or lactose, so our choices are really limited. I was shocked at the amount of things that contain soy, but what really frustrated me was that not all warning labels are accurate.
I know preparing all meals from scratch is the healthiest way to go, but it isn't easy or fast. Forget running through the local burger joint and grabbing something on the way to the ball field. Honestly, it is hard when you are NOT used to thinking about the food preparation quite as much. I am trying my best and learning how to cook in an all new healthier way.
I am proud of myself though. I made Kamryn's 1st birthday cake from scratch without any soy or lactose in the ingredients. That is actually tasted great and looked nice was a bonus. My next thing to try is making my own beef and chicken stock to freeze.
I am learning and we will be the better for the changes. I just wish someone would invent a allergen free drive through that sells nut, soy, and lactose free burgers and fries for those crazy days that I am running to get places.
No comments:
Post a Comment